Thursday, August 30, 2018

Week 2 Story: Breaking News Report


Breaking News Report: Intoxicated Man Arrested at Local Carnival  

Anchor 1: Jenna Schapiro here on Channel 6 News. We have breaking news at the local circus where a man was arrested earlier today on public intoxication and reckless endangerment charges. Over to Willie Downs with the story. 

Bystander Interview Clip (17 seconds): Yeah he just came up to me and my daughter screaming about how he was going to uncage the tiger, and the tiger was trying to trick him. He started yelling at the ground and trees. My daughter was terrified. You know I thought I was taking my kid to a family-oriented place, and now she's scared for life. 

Willie: That was Joseph Jacobs recounting the dramatic scene that unfolded today at the circus where a local youth pastor by the name of Brahman attempted to set free a stage tiger. Brahman was seen screaming at the tiger– who was being kept in a cage for the closing show– and attempting to open the cage door.  We have a clip of the moment where Brahman is seen talking to the tiger in the cage and attempting to tear open the locked cage door. 

Beginning of Clip: 0 seconds 

Willie: After struggling with the door he believes he had successfully set the tiger free and begins pleading for his life claiming the tiger had tricked him. He then runs to bystanders begging for their opinions on the situation. We then see security and the K9 unit step in to restrain him.

End of Clip: 33 seconds

Willie: What is not shown in the clip is Brahman began begging one of the dogs to hear his story. After a minute, he then begins to thank the dog for making all right in the world again. That is when police arrest the man on public intoxication and reckless endangerment charges. They later found traces of psilocybin in his system. A drug commonly found in "magic mushrooms." Back to you Jenna.


Jenna: Wow. Thank you, Willie, for that rather insane moment. The circus representatives released a statement earlier today stating they "try to make the circus fun and enjoyable for all attendees, but want to ensure safety above all else. [They] will be working to investigate this issue to ensure it does not occur again." Jenna Schapiro Channel 6 News. Thank You. 

Caption: Brahman helping tiger. Obtained from mythfolklore.blogspot.com 

Author's Note: I was inspired by the story The Tiger, The Brahman, and the Jackal by Joseph Jacobs. I have a background in journalism, so I envisioned this story as a "how would a news reporter explain this incident. What would that sound like?"
Bibliography: The Tiger, The Brahman, and the Jackal by Joseph Jacobs 1912.

4 comments:

  1. I really liked your way of telling this story- the news segment idea is really unique and made the story really enjoyable to read! It was interesting to read a story away from the action, looking back on it, rather than right in the middle of what is happening like in most stories. I would have liked to have gotten some sort of glimpse into the clip of Brahman talking to the tiger... maybe include a "sound clip" of what he said during the recording! Were "magic mushrooms" somehow part of the original story? I was curious why you chose these as the reason for Brahman's behavior. Maybe even just include something in the author's note as to what you drew from the original story if that's where you got the mushroom idea from! The same thing if that's where you got the idea about Brahman talking to a dog. I didn't read this story, so I would have liked to have known what you drew from it and what you added to make it your own!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a really interesting way of telling a story! I liked that it read and felt like a news report! That is something I don't think I have read before. I have read some stories that have consisted mostly on dialogue (which feels like reading a play) but this style is unique and really felt like a news broadcast. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Sammie! I really enjoyed your rendition of the story. I thought it was told well. It seemed very real and would actually happen in real life. I thought it was really funny because if the fable was in modern times, it would look really wacky. So wacky that, you were right, it would seem like the person were under the influence of alcohol or drugs. I really liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Sammie, I really enjoyed your version of the story. I actually just read this story this week so it was nice to see a different version of it. I thought your version of a new reporter was very clever and really made the story such a fun read. Overall i thought the story was great, keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete

Joey B